- Research paper about Stem cells & Hyaluronc Acid treatment to regenerate knee cartilage
- Questions and Answers in MRI describes various forms of Gadolinium contrast agents
- Review of a recent hypothesis for the biological basis of acupuncture
- A Comprehensive Review of the Safety and Efficacy of Bioidentical Hormones for the Management of Menopause
- Good explanation of the health implications of MTHFR gene mutations
- The Environmental Costs and Benefits of Fracking is a good scientific study of this important issue
- How to tick proof you clothes at home
- A Chinese herb that helps rheumatoid arthritis, especially in comination with the standard drug methotrexate
- Toxic Matters is an excellent guide by UC San Francisco for protecting ourselves from toxic substances
- Detecting cancer with fruit flies by identifying cancer-specific chemicals in the air
- An anti-cancer diet research article analyzes the Bill Henderson Protocol to treat and prevent cancer
- The Migraine Trust website has supplements and herbs to treat migraine headaches
- Health Insurance Counseling and Advocacy Program (HICAP) provides health insurance counseling over all of California
- GreenMedInfo blog criticism of the recent study claiming Omega 3 fatty acid causes prostate cancer is in line with Dr Dawn's evaluation.
- CDC document on Unintentional Drug Poisoning in the United States
- My Health Resource helps you find low cost and free health and dental clinics in California
- Acute cancer survivor Emily Whitehead puts a human face on extraordinary research for a devastating leukemia in children
- Gay and Lesbian Medical Association website has valuable information for both patients and doctors concerning LGBT health issues
- Strategies for Insect Bite Control is a document supplied by a regular listener, Bruce in Elkhorn
- International Chemical Secretariat website is an excellent resource to search and learn about hazardous chemicals in our environment
- Environmental organization in
Monterey County, CA - website has
links to learn about natural gas "Fracking" issue
Links to contact Congressman
Sam Farr, Senator Barbara Boxer
and Senator Dianne Feinstein about the federal leases already issued
- Consumerlab Report on Probiotics requires membership which Dr. Dawn thinks is worth the price
- What bacteria are in your gut (or mouth or skin?) is a crowd-sourced project that can identify your bacterial flora
- Functional Medicine Elimination
Diet that helps identify food sensitivities and
- Functional Medicine Dysglycmia
(low glycemic index) diet that is very
helpful to loose weight and avoid diabetes
Dawn's nutritional advice for avoiding breast cancer
- ENCODE project website
has a cool interface to explore this new project that studies the
non-protein-coding regions of our DNA and its function in controlling
- Body Weight Simulator
is a web application to help you calculate weight loss based on a
complex mathematical model by Carson Chow
- New research on Morgellons Disease
supports that it isn't simply "delusional parasitosis"
- Information is Beautiful website has
dynamic graphics to show data about nutritional supplements, although
we don't agree with all of their conclusions for scientific research.
- Choosing Wisely
initiative has lists of recommendations for what procedures are needed
and which are inappropriate for each medical specialty
by Self magazine has good nutrition advice and help with reading data
on food labels
- The Nutrition Source - What
Should I Eat by the Harvard School of Public
Health has well-supported information in line with Dr. Dawn's advice
- Review article about the possible
benefits of an Alkaline diet
- Hospice of Santa Cruz County
is an invaluable service to both patients and families dealing with end
of life care
- Effects of Electromagnetic Field (EMF)
radiation on health:
- CDC document about "Cervical
cancer screening with the HPV test and the Pap
test in women ages 30 and older"
- Risk Assessment Tool
will help you evaluate your risk of heart attack
- The Cancer
Project website has good nutrition advice and
classes all over the US, especially designed to help people with cancer
to the Simply Nutritious
website for nutrition classes in the Santa Cruz area
- Customized Sleep Profile
by Johnson and Johnson helps mothers and their babies sleep better
- About Emergency Preparedness
outlines the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission's policies -- check
out the link for the use of Potassium Iodide
- Official AHA Hands-Only CPR
Instructional Video Only 1 minute will
help you learn to save a life!
is the U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health
website where you can look up information about drugs, herbs and
is a valuable resource to help young survivors of cancer to do the
proper monitoring required to avoid cancer later in life and maintain
long term health
- Effect of oral magnesium on hot
flashes in breast cancer survivors is an article
detailing advantages of magnesium
- Antioxidants and Radiation Therapy
is an example research article that supports using
antioxidants during cancer therapy
- California Pre-Existing Condition
Insurance Plan is the place to go to explore
health insurance in California.
- Capital Desk section of
CaliforniaHealthline website is a good place to
monitor news on health bills in the CA legislature.
Also see: CA Legislature Bill Information.
is a fabulous new website by the US Department of Health and Human
Services to help you navigate health insurance options, especially in
the context of the changes enacted by recent health care reform bill
- Safe Chemicals Act
is a new bill designed to improve testing and monitoring of chemicals
in our environment. Check out the entire website for excellent
information about toxic chemicals issues
- Environmental Defense Fund
webpage promotes laws to address the onslaught of chemicals in our
- Safe Cosmetics
website focuses on chemical safety in cosmetic products, including new
bill introduced in U.S. house of representatives
- Cosmetics Database,
sponsored by the Environmental
Working Group, is an amazing collection
of ingredients of 60,000 products to find dangerous chemicals ls in
skin, hair and other cosmetic products
Working Group summary about cell phone radiation risks
- Environmental Working Group guide
to fish oil brands
- The International Fish Oil
Standards group also rates fish oil brands for
purity and contamination
article about fish oil production processes
- Environmental Working Group Guide
to Pesticides has quality information
about the impact of chemicals in our
food and environment, including lists of foods to buy organic and which
are not as necessary
- Environmental Working Group
website about the health dangers of Bisphenol A (BPA) in plastics
- PLOS report on holding receipt paper and eating food after using hand sanitizer results in high blood levels of BPA
- Fire Retardants
- Kyoto Encyclopedia of Genes and
Genomes (KEGG) is an amazing database linking
technical information about genes, metabolism, biochemical compounds,
human diseases and drugs.
- Open Source Biotechnology
and Open Wetware
support open, non-commercial biology research alternatives
- Stop the Medicare Meltdown
website has a petition you can sign to encourage Congress to fix
Medicare rate problems
is an independent testing agency for supplements and
- Recall of Kids' Tylenol, Motrin,
- A list of drugs
that affect the risk of cardiac arrest are detailed on this website
- California Dept. of Public Health
is a good starting point for practical information about the H1N1
Influenza virus, with lots of links to broader perspectives for the
U.S. and the the world
- California Department of
Education's Flu website has a draft version of a
"Pandemic Influenza Manual" to help parents understand how to deal with
the H1N1 flu. Here's a PDF version
if you don't want to read their MS Word Doc file.
- The DASH diet
is proven to lower blood pressure without additional prescription drugs
- PBS NewsHour health
reform website is an excellent source of
information on the current health care reform in the U.S.
- Single Payer
Health Care Now!
Single payer has been essentially rejected in the Obama
hearings in the US Senate finance committee. Websites that
inform you on this issue:
- Goggle Flu Trends
tracks appearance of flu anywhere better than the CDC!
- Vitamin D Council website
is a good source of information about this very important biochemical
that is more a hormone than a vitamin
crosslinks, pyridinoline and deoxypyridinoline are chemical
tests to measure the degradation of bone during osteoporosis
- Pollution Scorecard
has lots of detailed information about pollution in your local area
- Scientific American online article
about how cell phones affects brain waves
- Institute for Functional Medicine
website will help educate you about this new and important way of
approaching health care and help you find a practitioner wherever you
- FDA webpage
about the peanut butter products contaminated with Salmonella.
- Calcium and Milk: What's Best for
Your Bones? is an excellent review of the issue
of good sources of calcium for bone health and combating osteoporosis.
- Dupuytren's Contracture website
explains effective treatment
- Environmental Working Group
evaluation of sunscreens is a thorough database
to help you pick a sunscreen that is safe and effective.
- FRAX (Fracture Risk Assessment
Tool) by the World Health Organization helps you
evaluate your risks of bone fracture.
Cancer Risk Assessment Tool by the
National Cancer Institute helps women determine their risks.
- Breast Thermography
website has excellent information by a practitioner in the San
Francisco Bay area.
- "Sick Around the World"
is a fantastic documentary in the Frontline series on PBS.
Anyone interested in health care reform in the U.S. must see this documentary (you
can watch it on the website.)
Much more informative and serious than Michael Moore's "Sicko."
is an excellent resource to get state-specific Consumer Guides for
"getting and keeping health insurance." Each guide details the
state laws and your rights concerning health insurance.
- The Protecting the Insured
website is a place where Californians can register complaints about
problems with health insurance companies. The Office of the Los Angeles
City Attorney is suing companies that
are routinely breaking CA consumer protection laws.
Services has information for senior citizens and
disabilities to promote independence and the highest quality of life.
& Long Term Care is the a page on the Santa
Human Services Department website which also describes senior services.
excellent website for gynecology information, and you can even ask
questions at the site.
- Dr. David Perlmutter
is a board-certified neurologist and author who has done
innovative research in areas relating to brain health.
method for exercising the knee is
is Dr. Mark Hyman's website. Like Dr. Motyka, he is another advocate of
Functional Medicine and has applied these principles with great success.
Functional Medicine website has resources for
to learn about this new paradigm of health care
web document has great information about the risks
used for food and water containers
and Education for Liver Patients (HELP!) is a great
center for people with Hepatitis C.
up to be an organ donor at the Donate Life
registry, or explore Donate
Life for programs in other states.
A and Carotenoids dietary supplement fact sheet
from the NIH.
D calculator to evaluate how long you need to be
exposed to the sun for adequate vitamin D synthesis at any location on
vitamin D deficiency" is an article that discusses
News Review is
an excellent website that evaluates major medical research stories in
newspapers, magazines and on TV.
information on how to
evaluate news stories yourself, exactly as Dr. Dawn has discussed
during the radio shows.
- The FDA has a
prescription drug information is at worstpills.org.
- Explore storing your medical records online at the Medem and iHealthRecord
American Academy of
Environmental Medicine can help you find a doctor
environment health problems.
and get information about Living
Wills at the U.S.
A usable form is here.
guidelines from the U.S. Department of Health and
(HHS) and the Department of Agriculture (USDA)
Medical Marijuana Association has
information for those
interested in medical applications of this drug
Association has good info about the flu and flu
- Go to the Benecol
or call (800) 895-6286 to buy Benecol "Smart Chews", a plant product
for lowering cholesterol
- The Institute
HeartMath is an interesting evidenced-based
stress and "helping people find balance between their mind and
heart in life's activities"
group of medical marijuana specialists with clinics in Santa Cruz and
other CA locations
- Health Savings
|Typical Effective Dose (mSv)1
|Number of Chest X-rays for
|Time Period for Equivalent Dose
|Chest X-ray (PA film)
|Upper GI exam
|CT scan (abdomen)
1. Effect dose in millisieverts (mSv).
2. Assumes an average "effective dose" from chest X-ray (PA film) of
3. Assumes an annual average "effective dose " from natural background
radiation of 3 mSv in the US.
European Commission, Radiation
Protection Report 118,
"Referral guidelines for imaging." Directorate-General for the
Environment of The European Commission; 2000.
This is the
first scientific study:
- More practical diet
information based on this
One-Day Menu Plan for a 2,000 kcal Diet
Menu with alternatives
footnotes) provided on other days
||Soy deli slices 6
||Vegetable curry 7
Legume alternatives (canned):
bean, lentils, chickpeas
Four times a week
Lunch, soup alternatives:
with curry, vegetable barley, black bean, minestrone and pasta
Lunch, soy alternative: hot
Dinner, frozen meal (4
week) alternative: 3-bean chili
Dinner, soy alternatives:
Taken each time in 250
Plant sterol margarine
INDEPENDENCE FROM COMMERCIAL HEALTH INSURANCE
it becomes evident to all reasonable people that our current health
industry needs significant reform, respect for the opinions of friends
and adversaries requires that we should declare the causes which impel
We believe that all men, women and children are created
equal and are endowed with the right to health and well-being. To
secure this right the American people have instituted a great system of
democratic government. When a long train of abuses by the current
health industry has made that industry destructive to the health and
well-being of the people, we have a right and indeed a duty through our
legitimate government to devise new options for our health insurance
and for the delivery of our health care. The history of the present
system of commercial health insurance is a history of repeated abuses
having the direct object of enriching company stockholders and
corporate executives. To prove this, let facts be submitted to a
1. Private insurers are prone to \"confuse
their customers and dump the sick. The number of uninsured people has
increased as more have fallen victim to deceptive marketing practices
and bought what essentially is fake insurance.\" This according to
Wendell Potter, former CIGNA executive, testifying before a recent
Senate hearing June 24, 2009.
2. Large medical bills have contributed to half of
American manufacturers are paying more than twice as much on health
benefits as most of their foreign competitors (measured in cost per
4. On the individual and small group market, women are
charged higher premiums than men.
Nearly 160 million Americans have job-based insurance, but many are
just a pink slip away from joining the ranks of the uninsured.
6. Private insurers routinely deny coverage because of a
Executives from United Health\'s Golden Rule Insurance Co., Assurant
Health and WellPoint Inc. refused at a recent House hearing to stop the
practice of canceling coverage of sick policyholders for an unrelated
medical reason, even in cases where the firms cannot show intentional
fraud by the policyholders. Boston Globe 6/25/09.
8. Fear of
being sued drives doctors to defensive medicine which dramatically
increases health care cost. Meanwhile, private insurers are largely
protected from malpractice liability lawsuits by federal law.
Congressional investigators say large health insurers are relying on
faulty databases to underpay valid insurance claims. The flawed
databases are owned by Ingenix, a subsidiary of United Health. News
10. Half of companies with nine or fewer workers
do not currently provide employee coverage because they have to pay so
much more than large corporations or the federal government for the
same coverage. The total health insurance premium charged a small group
employer on average is $6,500 per employee per year and $12,000 for a
family. The Federal Employee Health Plan, depending on level of
coverage the employee chooses, pays as little as $3,200 per employee
per year and $7,100 for a family.
11. For people who work
part-time or are self-employed, if they can get insurance on the
individual market, premiums are on average three times higher than
premiums paid by people with employer sponsored insurance.
12. Health insurance premiums are expected to increase
another 9% next
A primary care doctor averages $72,675 in annual costs for fulfilling
commercial insurance paperwork ($14 a visit). Health Affairs 5/09
By merging and stockpiling capital resources worth millions of dollars
which dwarfs the resources of any physician group, they have created
giant databases of patients and physicians which are then used to
micromanage our medical care thereby obstructing the proper
relationship between the doctor and patient.
15. CEO total
compensation is outlandish. $4.7 million in 2008 to Michael McCallister
at Humana, $9.0 million to Dale Wolf at Coventry Health Care, $12.2
million to H. Edward Hanway at CIGNA, and $24.3 million to Ron Williams
at Aetna. Compiled from the Securities and Exchange
16. The current system of
commercial health insurers has given us high-deductible,
high-co-payment policies that are increasingly popular with employers.
This has lead to disparities and indeed rationing of care by race, sex,
and socioeconomic status. Annals of Internal Medicine 4/09
over fifty years, the American people have petitioned for reform. Our
repeated petitions have been answered by repeated injury. Such a
commercial health insurance industry is unfit to manage the health and
well-being of a free people. They have been deaf to the voices of
justice and reason. We must therefore denounce the commercial health
insurance industry and while they are our friends and neighbors in
daily work, they are adversaries in health reform.
The way to
defeat these insidious forces is to offer the American people a
national public health insurance option that they can choose to buy or
choose not to buy as an alternative to the current commercial health
insurance plans. We therefore appeal to Senator Thomas Carper,
Congressman Michael Castle, and Senator Ted Kaufman to support our
right to choose a national public plan option.
Respectfully submitted by Jo Ann Fields, MD
Kent County League of Women Voters, Dover, DE
July 4, 2009